Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Semalam...

...I made roast chicken (whole), couscous and salad. It was the first time I made couscous...suprisingly simple. Just boil water, dump the couscous and let it absorb the water for 5 minutes. Season with olive oil and salt.
Ze couscous in tajine ala morroco...gambar hiasan...yang betul dah habis dimakan

My kids love everything I cook. They love all kinds of food. Even gulai rebung with daging salai. Gulai perut. Sambals. Dhalls. Sushi. Etc. Etc. So do I. I love my own cooking. Yes, I am that narcissistic. When I cook, I go for 2nd and 3rd helpings. Sakinah goes for 5. Maryam will still be nibbling at her first when I've already started to clear the table. A dainty eater. But kills the dining partner. Each bite is like one billionth of a nanometer. She has a big mouth and big laugh. But when she eats. It's sheer torture for the one watching. And waiting, and waiting, and waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and...you get the picture.

Anyways, my roast chicken was fabulous. First time I made it whole too. I only use loads of olive oil, garlic, onions and rosemary flakes. And dollops of butter (not the killer, plasticky margarine...at least with butter, you die HAPPY, because it tastes like manna from heaven). The chicken I rub with rock salt, and stuff whole garlic pips under the skin all over. I only buy chicken from Dr Zainal, because I know he doesn't feed them other chickens' leftover parts, or worse, aliens ground up. I don't want to get Mad-Chicken Disease as in Mad Cow Disease. The cows go mad because they are forced to go against their nature and eat other ground up cows (or what remains of them) instead of good old grass. Who wouldn't go mad being forced to eat their own mother or brother who used to "MOO" beside them before being led to the slaughter house? Half of us humans are also mad, because at one time, bread conditioners/softeners were derived from human hair. So many of humanity are closet cannibals. Which explains the blood-lust in the Bush/Livni/Olmert/Obummer kinds. That's only half the story, this human hair thingy. You don't wanna know the rest.

Just stay organic and simple and stick to the Pasar Tani ulams and stuff.

I cover the chicken in foil first and roast it for an hour to cook it throughly, before browning it uncovered, till the skin is crispy and the halved potatoes, carrots and whole onions nicely browned along. You can also stuff the cavity with cooked rice flavored with saffron and almonds and raisins for a Morrocan/Algerian twist. But I stuffed my chicky with a halved lemon and loads of garlic and onions.

A one dish meal for the lazy ones.

Ini gambar hiasan. Mine was moist with lots of olive oil and chicken juices. Tak sempat tangkap gambar...sebab dah kena sambar.

The salad I forgot to crumble the feta cheeselah! Otherwise, It would have looked like this:


And today...

We eat outlah. Malas nak masak.

9 comments:

Zendra-Maria said...

Wow did you guys finish a WHOLE chicken?

And couscous too...

eating healthy aren't we?

Saya, now some Arab hunk gonna start buttering you up hehehe

Saya... said...

Zen...ayam free range...kecik jer...

That Arab better be buttered by riyals...hahaha

Zendra-Maria said...

Oh OK ayam free range juices taste better with butter, but I still can't quite get used to olive oil

and a-men to the Arab riyals...

Saya... said...

Zen,

Olive oil imparts a natural flavoring...almost manis...my kids LOVE it! I use on salads and roasts and pastas...even dip crusty bread in it.

Olives, dates, figs, pomegranates...my favs...all mentioned in the Quran

mamasita said...

Saya..
thank you..now I am inspired to cook more often..I am so ashamed asyik bagi excuse..'tak sempat!' jer.

Saya... said...

mamasita,

the best meals are the simplest..yang nak menumis, memerah tu...simpanlah untuk weekends, long, lazy Sundays...

I usually make sure I masak nasi first before anything and always have a salad or ulam2 ready...then just masak satu lauk yang simple...tambah ngan telur dadar...abis citer

my dried chillies and onions dah siap mesin and frozen..bab tu yang selalu malas..kalau dah ready, semangat sket ;

(there's always good old ikan bilis or sardin...hahaha)

~CovertOperations78~ said...

LOL @ Maryam, yes, that's her all right! I thought she was just shy because I was around.... hmmm, looks like she eats like a squirrel other times too.

The food looks awesome! Looks like you copied and pasted it out of a gourmet cookbook! the potato wedges! The lush veggie and feta cheese! Oh my! You're making me hungry!

LOL @ your food source paranoia! You can actually sign up for a veggie box service from organic farms, you know. Zero packaging, zero middlemen, all healthy stuff. For something like RM30 per box, each week they send a crate of 6 varieties of veggies to your doorstep. At least 18 varieties to choose from.

Unknown said...

muahahaha....

I don't cook. period!

Unknown said...

woooo...pandai masak ye? Next time, I pun mau makan at your house...not outdoor dining, give me the full course hehe :P not inter ok, makan course...